Sunday 3 March 2013

Still waiting for spring

So we have warmer daytime temperatures of 10°c for three days, but along with the warmer temperatures we have rain so I doubt the bees will be out foraging this coming week. I have fed them a 250g block of candy, which is a shame with the abundance of crocus's and snowdrops around. On checking the Correx sheet I did see some orange coloured pollen that has dropped through, so some bees have been out.
 
I am a bit worried that my bees are not good housekeepers, lifting the roof to check them and feed them there was a lot of mould inside the roof space and on the underside of the crown board. I swapped a super with a clean dry one and cleaned the crown board and roof with some Beeguard hoping the mould will be kept in check until the brood increases over the spring and some bees will turn their attention to some housework.
 
Whilst there is not much that can be done outside I turned my attention to labels, my first attempt on the right.
 
Equipment wise I think I have most of what I will need for my first full year as a beekeeper, other than an extractor, they all seem so expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment